YES YES YES!! I love this. FOREVER REBLOG!!
YOU GO GIRL!
I’m going to point out again for those who don’t click links: This young woman was shot in the head and neck by the Taliban for speaking out on behalf of women’s rights in Pakistan.
She is fifteen years old. She is also still alive. It is likely that she will suffer lifelong language and coordination difficulties given where she was shot (left side of her head) but she hasn’t given up her fight.
While Islamic clerics in Pakistan have issued a Fatwa against the men who tried to murder her, the Taliban has re-iterated its intent to murder her and her father.
I can’t express how much of a hero this woman is. She’s only fifteen, and yet she’s faced such impossible odds, and she’s still fighting. I just wish there was something I could do to help her.
Did my neighbor just see me dancing through my house because I just hit 700 followers?
Don’t worry - this isn’t an announcement that we’ve hired an abstract expressionist as our newest artist.
At Marvel we’re constantly trying to understand our characters and stories better so that we can better present those to you, our fans. (Also, we are big data nerds.)
As part of this effort we focused some sophisticated data analysis tools on the world’s most interesting social network—the Marvel Universe. The result is what you see above: in each image, every node represents a character and each line represents a shared appearance between two characters (in some of the graphs, the thickness of the line corresponds to the number of shared appearances).
Some cool things we’ve found:
- There are four big clusters of characters (you can see them in the different colored graphs above) which correspond to the X-Men, the Avengers, Spider-Man and Wolverine.
- Wolvie seems to have his own entourage independent of his teammates in the Avengers and the X-Men.
- There are about 10 other smaller clusters—in the high-res images linked below you’ll see groups corresponding to X-Factor Investigations, our cosmic heroes, teen heroes like the Runaways and Avengers Academy students and even Alpha Flight.
- The Ultimate Universe orbits the main Marvel Universe like a satellite (you can see it as a small spur on the right or left on most of the graphs above).
- The graph diameter (the furthest distance between any two characters) is 9 hops.
- The graph is relatively sparse (meaning many characters are not directly linked) with a density rating of .032.
- The average character has links to 41 other characters
One hundred lightning bolts strike Earth’s surface every second, each containing up to one billion volts of electricity. Cloud-to-ground lightning is caused by an electrical imbalance: precipitation collects at the base of storm clouds and creates a negative charge, while objects on the ground become positively charge—and nature remedies the imbalance by passing an enormous electrical current between them. Lightning actually moves in steps that work their way down to Earth with incredible speed, creating a fractal pattern—then the lowermost step is met by a surge of positive electricity from the target below, and electricity is channelled through as lightning. This surge can climb through a tree, a building, or even a person, so it’s unsurprisingly that approximately 2,000 people are killed by lightning each year. The lucky ones who survive being struckare sometimes left with remarkable fractal scarring on their skin, called Lichtenberg figures or “lightning trees”. Lichtenberg figures were discovered by German physicist Georg Christoph Lichtenberg, who found that when an electrical discharge strikes insulating material, it’s reproduced on the surface or interior of the material. It looks like trapped lightning because it quite literally is, showing the fascinating pattern of the branching steps. It’s not the heat that causes the scarring, however; it’s hypothesized that the shockwave of the lightning current ruptures capillaries under the skin. Since they’re not burns, Lichtenberg figures generally only last from a few hours to a few days before fading from the skin.
The Stig can neither confirm nor deny whether or not he is or is not the Stig. Stay calm and go fast.
After his friend spent almost 15 minutes complaining about the new TOTAL RECALL movie…
Every once in awhile, an OVC makes it onto the wall in the comic shop. This one might just make the cut.